Wednesday, March 3, 2010

the first stepping stone

A failed friend, a failed scholar and a soon to be failed angler. why did i set up a blog? not really sure to be honest, it certainly seems to be in vogue, if all the cool kids are doing it, so should i. I wouldnt want to be left behind. here i hope to bring you the antics of my friends and my own travels fishing around the republic. maybe a few pictures too!

A little bit about me.
im 20 years old, im a first years student in ucd currently studying god knows what at this stage. i was previoulsy completeing a forestry degree but decided it wasnt for me. ive tried my hand at many things in my short lifetime, but nothing seems to sooth the spirits like angling. ive been lucky enough to be fishing since the tender age of 5 when my fantastic father brought me down to dunlaoghaire pier were a 4lb pollock and 3lb wrasse set a firm impression of my young mind. i caught the bug that day and eventually landed my first catch, a small and perfectly formed corkwing wrasse from the same pier a week later. from that moment on, summers evenings spent with my grandad fishing for mackerel with an improvised float constructed from balsa wood kept my burning passion for the sport ticking over. by my early teens i had fallen out of love with the sport only to find a passion for the game of rugby, however you cant keep a good dog down, by the age of 16 i had yet again returned to the beaches after a brief dabble with a fly rod (not for me) and i got involved with a local club. complete and utter luck saw me win my first ever junior competition and since then with the exclusion of a years brake during my final year of school ive been match angling with plenty of pleasure fishing to boot ever since. why did i set up a blog? after reliving some of those memories i can answer that with an honest and often ciched responce. im passionate about angling, its always been my first true love and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment